“Troy has an amazing heart for pastors all across our country. I can think of no better investment personally as a pastor then to allow this ministry to pour into my life…” ~ Caleb D. Cole, Lead Pastor, Project Church
Hi, I’m Troy McLaughlin, founder of Project Pastor. Here’s part of my story and why I began Project Pastor.
My two greatest accomplishments in life are my marriage of over 29 years, and being a dad to the 3 best kids in the world. As my friend Josh Collins says, “you can do two things no one else can do, be a husband to your wife and a father to your kids.”
I’m a native Californian who grew up in a national forest that was a short walk from Shasta Lake. My love for the outdoors was born there. I spent most of my time outside; fishing, hunting, and playing in those woods.
I spent many hours growing up in church. The elementary school I attended was right next to a church. The school and church had an arrangement where we could spend elective time at the church. It was there as a young boy,I learned to love God and the church.
Here’s a bit more about me…10 questions if I was asking.
- What’s your favorite hobby? Fly fishing; in fact if I could be anywhere I’d be in Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina, fishing for sea run browns.
- What’s your favorite song? Boys of Summer by Don Henley, favorite album, Steve Winwood’s Back in the High Life.
- First car? It was a brown 71 pinto. I drove that car till I crashed on the way to Bible college one afternoon.
- First love? Jesus of course, He’s my reason for living. Without Him, I’m nothing.
- Favorite place you’ve fly fished? The Missouri River in Montana, followed by wherever I can fish now.
- Favorite book besides the Bible? That’s hard because I’ve read so many, but one I read over and over is, Jesus Among Other God’s by Ravi Zacharias. The book may be a small one but it’s loaded with wisdom and insight.
- Favorite interview you’ve conducted? One of my favorite’s was Patrick Regan of XLP ministries in London, England.
- If you could have dinner, scratch that, fish with any 3 people in the world, who would they be? Lefty Kreh, Bono, Ravi Zacharias. I don’t know if Bono or Ravi could fish but they’d be great to talk to.
- Best road trip? Being part of the support crew for R4M (a 4 person cycling team) that competed in the 2011 Race Across America.
- What’s your favorite thing about Project Pastor? Being able to connect with those in ministry all over the world. To not only hear their stories, but also to encourage and challenge those in ministry so they can finish well.
Posting Schedule: podcast on Thursday’s, & subscribers get my weekly newsletter Monday Morning Encouragement
“Everyone knows the value of spiritual care that comes from their pastor, but few realize how exhausting that work can be. Project Pastor does the essential work of supporting our clergy as they support their congregations.” ~ Science Mike McHargue
Project Pastor came as the result of a conversation with a pastor a few years ago. He shared his story of a job interview in the midwest for a pastorate. Afterwards a board member took him to lunch. The board member shared he was a prominent member in the community, and also a rancher. He said to the pastor, “You’ll be well taken care of, and you’ll have plenty of beef, only, you can’t broach these four subjects from the pulpit.” I don’t remember the subjects, but I knew that wasn’t the way ministry should work.
So I began a quest to find out what every pastor should know about the ministry. My plans were to write a book by interviewing the “top 100 pastors” in the country. (I quickly discovered you can’t do that, their really hard to get a hold of and it was an ego driven desire to do so.) Although I haven’t interviewed ” the top 100 pastors.” I have interviewed nearly 100: from pastors to church planters, from missionaries to theologians, from leaders to authors they’ve all been on the show. If you’d like some help with podcasting: I’ve created a great PDF with links, like where to start, what equipment I recommend, and what I use now. It also contains video’s and how to links. It’s a great starting guide. If you have any further questions concerning podcasting I’m available for coaching as well. I give a 30 minute free podcast coaching call as well. Contact me here and link in the subject podcasting coaching.
The problem was bigger than I or any book could solve. I couldn’t ignore the problem and walk away from those struggling without offering to help. So Project Pastor was born.
P.S. I always answer my emails, if you’d like to connect you can email me here.